07 May FAMILY WELLNESS MONTH: WHAT WILL YOU DO?
MAY IS FAMILY WELLNESS MONTH
May is Family Wellness Month. As parents, you can help develop healthy eating and physical activity habits that will last throughout your child’s life. By acting as a role model and making healthy choices easy and fun, children are more likely to change their diet and activity habits.
So take some time as a family – ride a bike, take a hike, visit a park, have a picnic. Whatever you do, do it together and help inspire a lifetime of wellness.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Diabetes is one of the most common chronic diseases in children and adolescents.
- High blood pressure can run in families. People can inherit genes that make them more likely to develop the condition.
- Approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2-19 years are obese.
- Familial hypercholesterolemia is a genetic condition that causes high cholesterol levels, no matter how carefully you manage your diet.
- Each day, more than 3,200 persons younger than 18 years of age smoke their first cigarette.
Let’s start reversing the trends and help foster a healthier future for generations to come.